Yield: 12 large biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup carrot juice2 eggs, beaten
- 12 black or green olives
Brush on Top:
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour with the sugar, baking powder, salt and paprika.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or two knives, until it's the size of large peas.
- Stir in the cheese and salmon and make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the carrot juice and eggs. Pour the liquid into the well and quickly stir until the dough is well combined and holds together.
- Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet.
- Flatten with fork and decorate with olive pieces.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- When biscuits come out of the oven, use a brush to spread butter/paprika over the tops of all the biscuits. Serve hot.
Submitted by Valerie Sinesky